In the CineWhoop world, every gram makes a difference. CineWhoops are small drones (2 – 3-inch prop size) with a GoPro used for capturing aerial indoor shots. Due to its small size CineWhoops need to be as lightweight as possible. GoPro cameras usually weigh around 110 grams which is too much for this type of small drone. The best way to make your CineWhoop more efficient and responsive is to strip your GoPro.
Benefits of stripped GoPro:
- 50% to 80% lighter
- 5V power directly from the Flight Controller
This article is based on the GoPro Hero 6 for these three important reasons:
- GoPro Hero 6 is quite cheap
- 4K resolution at 4:3
- Works extremely well with ReelSteady
Step 1 – Remove “Unnecessary” parts
The first step is to remove all the “unnecessary” parts and electronics like the battery, display screen, and the external case if you prefer.
In this amazing video, Rimzler will show you everything you need to know:
Full Mod with power cable
Full Mod with power cable, original case and buttons
Step 2 – Wire the power cable
There are four methods to power your GoPro:
- Betafpv GoPro Bec Board (very easy): just buy the board and snap it on the back of your naked GoPro
- USB hack (hard): with this hack you have to solder + and – to the USB-C flexible cable
- Pad soldering (very hard): you have to solder the + to a tiny pin on the GoPro Board
- Battery hack (not recommended): you have to destroy the battery and get the correct board to wire the + and -. This method may seem easy but most of the time doesn’t work. I tried it myself and I had problems while recording in 4K.
Step 3 – LED and Power buttons hack (Optional)
This step is only if you want to remove the power and rec button flexible cable. By connecting two wires you can easily emulate the power button.
Protect your stripped GoPro
Now that you have a wonderful, lightweight GoPro you will need some sort of case. You can still use the original one or use a 3D printer to make your own custom one. Here you can find some useful resources:
- Orginal Rimzler Case: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4118143
- Rimzler Case + ND Filter Mod: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4200591